Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:18:31 -0500
From:      Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        Walter Belgers <walter@belgers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bootable install CD - relocate to subdir

Walter Belgers wrote:

>Hello hackers,
>
>I am a board member of the Dutch Unix Users Group, and we would like to
>make a DVD with several free/open UNIX releases together with the Dutch
>Hobby Computer Club/UNIX.
>
>The DVD boots a program that lets the user select the OS (s)he wants to
>install, and then pseudo-boots the boot image of that OS.
>
>Problem: all the FreeBSD files need to be in /. This clashes with other
>distributions on the same DVD. I would like to have everyting in
>/FreeBSD or some other subdirectory instead.
>
>Has anybody done such a thing before, or knows of someone who has?
>
>Regards,
>Walter.

You could easily accomplish this by hacking sysinstall to do a chroot
before anything else. You also might have to help the kernel know where
the new sysinstall is. Right now it runs sysinstall as init. One thing
I'm playing around with is looking at alternatives to sysinstall as our
installer or doing a new one. The more I think about it a complete live
file-system CD with the installer as a user process seems the logical
way to go. DFBSD has gone this route with their new installer
(http://www.bsdinstaller.org).

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans@gamersimpact.com