Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:00:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel threads

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:

> the KSE stuff requires too much assistance from teh Userland Thread
> scheduler.
>
> HOWEVER it is possible that kthreads may one day be implemented as
> multiple threads of a single kernel process..  (but not yet)

John has been talking about doing this for a while -- clustering the
kernel threads into a smaller number of kernel processes or a single
kernel process.  This is the approach Darwin takes as well, FWIW -- they
have a kernel_task in which all the various kernel threads hang out, which
avoids the overhead of full processes, as well as the emotional baggage.
I think I saw John put it on his TODO list in Perforce, so maybe it's
coming soon :-).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research