Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:27:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Annoying >2.2.5 oddity on reboot.

I have a bunch of DEC ZX and HX 6000 P6 boxes.  Have been running 2.2.5
for heap 'um big long time, zero troubles.

So I upgraded 2 of them to -stable as of yesterday.

Now neither of them will reboot properly.  They shutdown, and get to the
stage where they should start reloading, and they just hang.

I've tried a couple different BIOS revs, and nothing seems to help.

(These boxes have PCI and EISA slots).

Drop back to 2.2.5 kernel, and they reboot just fine.

Anybody have any idea what may be wrong?  Driving down tot he office just
to finish off a shutdown -r is a big unusability factor.

The chipsets on the boxes are orion and neptune as I recall.

A veeeeery old 3.0 (august of last year I think) runs fine in SMP and
reboots properly.

Thanks for any tips.