Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 21:42:15 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall

> Well, I've got time on my hands right now (between contracts), and would
> like to see if I could be helpful to this effort...
>
> If not you, who should I talk to?

I'm it for now, I guess.  OK, the first thing we need to do is figure
out how to get egcs (and the new libg++ it depends on) "contribified"
and into the tree.  That is to say that:

1. The portions of egcs which constitute the actual compiler (vs its
   support libs, many of which are already in the tree) need to
   go unchanged, on a vendor branch, into /usr/src/contrib/gcc.

2. The FreeBSD-specific changes, that is what's produced by the
   "post-config" scenario, get checked in on the head branch
   (so we can still bring new versions of egcs in on the vendor
   branch and just merge our changes in from time to time).

3. The "skeleton" makefiles which go with it, that being what's
   in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc and /usr/src/gnu/lib/libg++ (among
   a few other bits), need to be updated to match the new contribified
   egcs.

4. The whole mess needs to be tested with "make world" until everyone
   is sure that it's actually going to work in place of 2.7.2.1.

As you can see, this is no small job but it's pretty critical
if we're ever going to drag FreeBSD's compiler technology into
the 20th century.  As far as I know, both OpenBSD and NetBSD
have already completed this step.

> PS: On a complete aside, do you know who would know about a FreeBSD
> BoF at LISA in Boston this week?

Talk to David Greenman - as our sole representative there this
year, it's his job to set up the BOF. :)

- Jordan