Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:30:21 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        bugs@bugs.au.freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Curly DNS protocol/implementation question

Hi all,

I found the "log_in_vain" rc.conf knob a week or so ago, and
thought that it would be neat to turn on: something else to
distract me in my nightly security check.

I've noticed two interesting things: something (fetchmail,
probably) attempts to send me mail on what I guess to be a local
IPv6 address "::0001:25" every five minutes. My mail server is
qmail, so I'd guess that it's not listening on IPv6. I'll check
the fetchmail doco to see if I can force it to use IPv4. Or
perhaps find an IPv6 knob on qmail.

The interesting bit though, is that every so often (or perhaps it
happens every time?) I get a log for a UDP connection from one of
my name servers (both the ISP and the server on my office LAN)
from port 53 to some almost monotonically increasing local port
number.

Now "log_in_vain" is advertised as logging connection attampts for
which there is no listener. Presumably, these are packets sent by
the name server _after_ my request has been satisfied and the
DNS-requesting client has gone away. Is this an indication of some
brokenness in our resolver library (seems unlikely), or some
Microsoft-inspired protocol extension/corruption? Or something
else?

It doesn't appear to be hurting me, but I'd like to know what it's
about, if only to think of a way to cut a non-useful log message
out of the report.

--
Andrew