Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 14:05:39 +1000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I write device driver

> Can any of you help me with writing device driver for two cards i have
> here on my desk.
> I have all documents and API information for the cards.
>
> One is AD converter 8input 12bit + 1 DA 12bit
>
> and the other is digital IO card with 6 8bit ports and timer IO based
> on two 8255 and one 8253
>
> I heard of something like /dev/IO but I did not find any information
> about writing interface to it.

You don't have to do much for this; just open /dev/io and use the
macros in <machine/cpufunc.h>, specifically the in* and out* family.

The first question you should ask is : do you need a device driver?

If you don't need to handle DMA or interrupts or have strict timing
requirements, user-mode I/O using the /dev/io technique can be very
effective.  We have a data interface capable of >1MB/sec that we talk
to exclusively with this method.

mike