Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:54:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        fpassera@freesurf.fr
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: An upgrade from FreeBSD-4.0-RELEASE to FreeBSD-4.2-RELEASE

fpassera@freesurf.fr types:
> Step 7) Update /etc (but actually I check from the /)
> This is longest and hardest manual task I encountered during the upgrade.

Use mergemaster. It automates everything but the actual merging, and
makes this a relatively simple task, though still long to go from
-RELEASE to -RELEASE.

> Step 9) Compile and install new kernel
> You must recompile your kernel before the reboot (see Handbook).
> That is very frustrating. From the newsgroup, I found 2 answers :

Try "cd /usr/src; make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL" to build a new
kernel after you've done "make buildworld". Buildkernel builds the
kernel using the things built by buildworld.

	<mike