Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:03:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      Peter Cornelius <pcc@gmx.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
Subject:   Re: Unable to create /dev/X

Re & thanks for the answers.

> First, FreeBSD terminology. The things that DOS users call partitions
> (4 to a disk, unless you have logical ones inside another one) are
> called "slices". The things you can mount file systems on are called
> "partitions". Since FreeBSD can't put a file system on a logical
> slice, I assume you mean partitions, not slices.

*Sigh* Will I _ever_ remember this.

> Now - why did you think having lots of partitions is a good idea?
> That the sizes of all the above match your backup media is about the
> only reason I can think of for doing that.

Partitions filling up seperately might be another.

> What you actually ran out of was partitions - you only have 8 usable
> partitions per slice. So your 8 file systems and swap is to many. I'd
> be interested to know the 9 device names you used for this.
>
> Mangling /etc/fstab (that is what you meant, right?) sounds like a bug
> - probably from walking past the end of an array somewhere. Care to
> try recreating it?

Well, sysinstall allows to 'add' more... er... partitions, just when it
runs out of them, in fstab, they'll have /dev/X as their device names. So,
when I ran her up, I dropped straight into the emergency shell, since obviously
there's no /dev/X that I could possibly mount a fs on. So, to commented out
those entries in fstab, that's all:

# Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump   Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b     none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s1a     /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s1g     /home           ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1f     /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1h     /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
#/dev/X         /usr/X11        ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1d     /usr/local      ufs     rw              2       2
#/dev/X         /usr/src        ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1e     /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c      /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc            /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

> Yes, you ran into a hard limit. There are a couple of workarounds,
> though.
>
> You could put /tmp on a memory file system. That saves you one file
> system, so it fits.
>
> If you've got a spare slice, you can divide your FreeBSD slice into
> two slices, and then put partitions in both slices. With 8 partitions
> per slice, that gives you 16 partitions. They'll be called
> /dev/ad0s#?, where # is the slice number (1, 2, 3 or 4), and ? is the
> partition letter (a-h), so it would be, for instance /dev/ad0s2a for
> root, and /dev/ad0s3d for /home.

Hmmm... thanks a lot for the quick lecture :) I'll dive into the deeper
realms of my dark soul now and decide... I'd really like to have /usr/src on a
separate partition since I've grown the habit of having the ports reside
there, too, and that tree tends to grow over time... But then again, it does
not really matter what happens /usr as long as / does not fill up, so...

Well...

Thanks a lot for your support,

Best regards,

Peter.