Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:19:50 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New IBM drive setting problem?

Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

> Here is my advice, since you have only one device per motherboard
> ide controller this config should work, this means you have some
> thing incorrect with the hardware. Open up the box and check out
> that the components are plugged in the correct sockets on the
> motherboard, that you are not using a 33 wire ribbon to the hard
> drive, get the mfg and model number off the id plate of the HD and
> look it up on the mfg web page to verify it's 100, there is a visual
> difference in ide ribbons, 33 has bigger wires and 66 has smaller
> wires and 66 of them. I do not know about 100 but it may also have a
> special ribbon. Check with motherboard manufacture web page for a bios,
> flash update and verify that you motherboard model does support ATA/100.
>
> It's time you play detective.

Sorry, I thought I'd mentioned all of this in the original email:

The hard drive is an IBM 60GXP 40GB HD (as the probed model number
indicates).  It supports up to ATA100.
The cable is an ATA100 compliant (80 conductor) cable.
Hmm.  There appears to be a new BIOS on the website, but it only claims
to fix problems with the Athlon XP 2000+.  I'll try installing it anyway
to see if that makes a difference.
The Motherboard is a SolTek SL-75DRV2 which according to the webpage
"Supports Ultra ATA 100/66/33".  What seems really strange to me is how
the DVD-ROM comes up as ATA66 (that's the maximum it can support) while
the Hard Drive comes up ATA33.

I'm really stumped on this myself.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer