Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:36:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        WhtsGoinOn@aol.com
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Magazine Publishing

> I am a small magazine Publisher and would consider doing a magazine strictly
> for FreeBSD.  How do I go about getting permission to publish and what would
> you recommend as the subject matter, page count etc.

You wouldn't really need anyone's permission to publish a magazine
(any more than the Linux Journal needed Linus' permission) and I'm
sure that if you were to publish such a thing, it would succeed or
fail based on the quality of the content more than anything else.

That said, I do have to note that the word "FreeBSD" is trademarked
and if you wanted to call it "The FreeBSD Journal" or something,
permission would have to come from us.  I also don't see any problems
with granting such permission based on just a few guidelines, all of
which follow common sense in any case: We wouldn't want to see child
porn in the same magazine or anything which would otherwise sully the
good name of FreeBSD by association, anything purely technical in
content more than meeting those standards.  We're not unreasonable
people here!

As to subject matter, I can only suggest articles which have something
to do with FreeBSD: How to use it, features thereof, prominent users,
basically pretty much the same type of content which the Linux Journal
publishes except with a FreeBSD slant.

- Jordan