Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:45:23 -0800
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, Deb Goodkin <deb@freebsdfoundation.org>
Subject:   Re: projects to better support FreeBSD sysadmins

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 02:14:24PM -0900, Royce Williams wrote:
> But the overall project list needed to be rebalanced towards system
> administration.  I request that the Foundation consider this when
> calling for proposals for the next round of funded projects.

Royce,

I agree with what you wrote, but I want to add to it.

I would like there to be a focus on making FreeBSD more "devops-friendly"
so that the current generation of devops engineers can pick it up
and easily deploy it in large cluster and cloud environments.  We need
to move beyond the 1990's era view of Unix administration where we only
have a few Unix servers administered by hand by a few sysadmins.

Today's datacenter has hundreds or thousands of nodes.  These nodes
need to be installed, maintained, and upgraded.  These nodes are more and
more
maintained by devops teams who use automation frameworks (Puppet, Chef,
Ansible,
Saltstack, CFEngine, etc.) to accomplish these tasks.  devops teams will
write C and shell script
if they have to, but are very pragmatic about using newer scripting
languages like Python, Ruby, etc.
if it is necessary to get the job done.

What is FreeBSD doing to be more devops friendly?
How can we make FreeBSD friendlier to people who are trying to deploy
hundreds and thousands of
FreeBSD nodes, especially in datacenter and cloud environments?

I would like to see the project and Foundation focus on these types of
problems.

--
Craig