Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 16:42:31 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        JAKE RIVERA <jakerivera@ameritech.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with modem in laptop

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 10:56:24PM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> I just went through that exercise a few weeks ago. After phoning the Australian distributors of EVERY known breed of PCMCIA modem I couldn't find one that WASN'T a winmodem.

Strange. I always thought that most every PCMCIA modem was a "real"
modem. At least, I have never seen one that was not. Go into
/etc/defaults/pccard.conf to look for a gizzilion ones that work with
FreeBSD.

The built-in modems in notebook PCs, however, are pretty much without
exception, WinModems. (Which was always fun for those few who ran NT
on their notebooks, 'cause they generally don't run under NT either.)