Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:00:27 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        jhall@vandaliamo.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLANs and DHCP

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 04:15:02PM -0000, jhall@vandaliamo.net wrote:
> I currently administer a system which has two DHCP servers on two
> different VLANs.  Unfortunately, the two servers are not playing together
> well and some comptuers are receiving IP addresses on the wrong network.
> So, with our phone vendor's blessing, I am trying to move all of the DHCP
> services to the FreeBSD server.
>
> The computers on the network are supposed to receive an IP address on the
> default vlan and the phones are supposed to receive an IP address on their
> vlan.
>
> Essentially what happens when a phone is booted, the phone receives an IP
> address on the default VLAN, releases that address and then requests an IP
> address on the appropriate VLAN.

Sounds like you're using Cisco phones and the isc-dhcp server (or
relay-agent)...

Try net/dhcprelay from the ports collection. Let it forward the
DHCP requests to a central server, and all will be fine.

The isc-dhcrelay is euhm... quite noisy.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |          Weblog: http://weblog.barnet.com.au/edwin/