Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:59:02 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Load Averages etc.

----- Original Message -----
From: <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Subject: Load Averages etc.

> What do the actual figures for Load Average mean? I know they are CPU
> usage at 1 min 5? and 15 mins but what does a load average og .6 or
1.0
> or 1.5 mean? are they percentages? If so how can a load average go
over

Try to imagine it this way: For every finished task, <load average
number> new tasks are created. Example: For each task that finishes, 0.6
new tasks are created. Your machine is partially idle. For each task
that finishes, 6.0 new tasks are created. Your machine is overloaded. As
long as the load is not reduced, the load average will continue to rise
exponentially.

Greetings,

Michael Nottebrock