Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 20:15:11 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies), freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gzipped executables

Terry, come up with a patch, or stop this nonsense.
there is no self-modifying code involved...

Christph:  No I'm sorry I don't have time.  It shouldn't be that hard
though, if you have cvs try to find out when it broke, that would
help a lot.

Poul-Henning

> > Is anyone working on fixing the broken gzip executable feature in
> > -current?
>
> It's a cache interaction.  Pentium caches are written back inside
> the cache queue depth, whereas pre-Pentium processors have
> immutable cache queues.
>
> It can be fixed by incorporating 32 NOP's (until the next processor
> revision, anyway), in part of the code.
>
> This is a kludge, but, of course, it works... of such ugly working
> things are permanent warts grown.
>
> Alternately, it can be caused by faulty writeback/invalidate hardware
> on an external L2 cache.  Needless to say, I don't have any hardware
> with broken L2 cache interaction, so I couldn't test even a kludge
> if that's where it's falling down on you.  Typically, binvd'ing
> the cache line range impacted immediately following a load and
> again immediately following a buffer decompression would *probably*
> fix the problem.
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.