Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:56:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Desperate to shrink a partition

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> The system is running FreeBSD 2.2.8.  Under heavy load it now crashes
> and reboots itself on a regular basis... every few hours, at random.
>
> I get *no messages* in /var/log/messages saying what happened.  Maybe some
> message would appear on the console, *if* this system had a console monitor,
> but it doesn't, so that's that.

Have you replaced your RAM or processor cache?  How about case and hard
disk temperature?

Sudden reboots are *rarely* software caused under FreeBSD.  The kernel
keeps tabs on itself and will panic() accordingly, allowing you to get a
dump.  If it reboots abruptly, most likely you have flakey/failing
hardware.

Doug White