Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2014 20:17:21 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: BIND chroot environment in 10-RELEASE...gone?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:12:45 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
 > On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:
 >
 > > On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 08:20:38 +0100 (CET) sthaug@nethelp.no wrote
[..]
 > > > <rant>
 > > > Removing the changeroot environment and symlinking logic is a net
 > > > disservice to the FreeBSD community, and disincentive to use FreeBSD.
 > > > </rant>

 > > In all fairness (is there even such a thing?);
 > > "Convenience" is a two-way street. For each person that thinks
 > > the BIND chroot(8) mtree(8) symlink(2) was a great "service". There
 > > are at *least* as many whom feel differently. I chose to remove/disable
 > > the BIND, from BASE, some time ago. As it wasn't "convenient" to have
 > > to overcome/deal with the CVE/security issues. In the end, I was forced
 > > to re-examine some of the other resolvers, that ultimately, only proved
 > > to be better choice(s).
 > >
 > > Just sayin'

 > Please don't conflate issues. Moving BIND out of the base system is
 > something long overdue. I know that the longtime BIND maintainer, Doug B,
 > had long felt it should be removed. This has exactly NOTHING to do with
 > removing the default chroot installation. The ports were, by default
 > installed chrooted. Jailed would have been better, but it was not something
 > that could be done in a port unless the jail had already been set up.
 > chroot is still vastly superior to not chrooted and I was very distressed
 > to see it go from the ports.
 >
 > Disclaimer, since I retired I am no longer running a DNS server, so this
 > had no impact on me. I simply see it as an unfortunate regression.

Me too, which is why I was pleased to see Warren's excellent handbook
example of setting up BIND in a jail as well catering to that need:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails-ezjail.html#jails-ezjail-example-bind

That's for a caching-only local resolver, but it's hardly a long jump to
extend that framework to an authoratative nameserver, BIND or otherwise.

Good docs are gold, and can sometimes compensate for notsogood policy :)

cheers, Ian