Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:40:33 +0000
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running 5.1-RELEASE with no procfs mounted (lockups?)

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:43:19PM -0700, Josh Brooks wrote:
[...]
> One of the systems, the one I am doing all the work on, is an SMP system,
> and it keeps locking up on me - the lockups are always the same - things
> are going fine, and suddenly a process fails to complete - maybe it is
> "pwd", maybe I type   :q!   in "vi"  and it just sticks there - either
> way, randomly, processes just begin to lock up ... if I log in on another
> session, I can see the PID, but I cannot kill it - I can kill -9 (PID) 100
> times and it will still exist.  Eventually the entire system will lock up,
> although you can always ping the system.

  When this happens and you start another session to kill the original
  process, can you perhaps run 'ps <pid> -l' and get the MWCHAN column?
  The process could be stuck blocking somewhere in the kernel, which is
  why your signal is not being delivered.

  Anyway, this is just one possibility.  See if all the processes you
  describe as 'frozen' have the same MWCHAN and, if so, what is it?

--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic@technokratis.com  *  bmilekic@FreeBSD.org
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/