Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:07:02 GMT
From:      "danny h" <bsd_freebsd@hotmail.com>
To:        greg@ausit.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Question

Hello follow these instruction to get apache working:-

Assumed knowledge
- Basic understanding of networking termnlogy
- Uunderstanding of basic commands
- Must have su access

1) In your webbrowser type http://<yourserver>; to check if it is working
properly.(If not read on)

2) Make sure httpd.conf, access.conf, etc exist. Usually when you first
install Apache that way it should be named httpd.conf.default.
To change the name of the file to httpd.conf type "mv httpd.conf.default
httpd.conf.

3) Follow the above instruction rename access.conf.default etc

4) Now you must change the contents of httpd.conf.
to do that you

vi httpd.conf

(Find the line) DocumentRoot (change it to where you want to store the web
contents eg:- /usr/local/www/data/. Remeber that /usr/local/www/data/ must
exist.

4) Now you must start Apache. To start Apache simply type
/usr/local/application/apache/bin/apachectl start.

5) To test if Apache has started type

ps -gax (if it works you should see httpd)

Hope that helps. Sorry for presentatation of the above instrucitons :(