Date:      23 Mar 1999 18:29:43 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build of 3.1-STABLE failing?

Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net> writes:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> > Running stable is preferable than release. But the targets are
> > buildworld and installworld.
> If you make regular backups of userland, that represents quite a bit
> of work. Since it rebuilds everything in userland, you wind up dumping
> all of userland with every backup, so you need to do some kind of
> special backup after doing an installworld. Putting it all together,
> that's enough work that I wouldn't bother doing it except every 6-8
> weeks. But -RELEASE happens about twice that often. What's the point
> of tracking -STABLE under those conditions?

Add the following line to /etc/make.conf:

INSTALL=install -C

> You mean - people who go in and edit the userland sources? Nuts -
> that's one of the reasons I *started* tracking -STABLE. I kept hoping
> the patches I submitted with pr bin/9429 would show up, as well as
> some of the ports I've done and submitted.

Who are you paying to commit them?

As it is, 9429 was committed on Sunday. Granted, it's not the best
turnaround time I've experienced, but it's a lot better than many
commercial Unix vendors.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no