Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:36:31 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue2@welearn.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Aleksey Zvyagin <zal@rest.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

On Sun, Mar 15, 1998 at 11:41:37AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sun, 15 March 1998 at 11:51:54 +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 15, 1998 at 10:56:05AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> >> How would that help?  That which we called ERRATA.TXT by any other
> >> name would be read as little.  We had this errata about login.conf in
> >> the root directory of the 2.2.2 CD-ROM, but that didn't stop people
> >> asking all the time.
> >
> > But wasn't that the incident where the errata.txt was in error, and one had
> > to find the errata to the errata (on the FTP site I think it was) in order
> > to discover that the file had to be downloaded? Fair crack o' the
> > whip! :-)
>
> Hmm.  Yes, you're right.  But not a single one of all those questions
> indicated that the originator had read the ERRATA.TXT file.

I saw a few that did, though most didn't indicate they had. I'll always be
cautious about believing an errata.txt after that experience, but I will
read them.

Either people are somehow induced to read it, or we wear the outcome. Simple.
It doesn't help to discuss whose "fault" it is, only how to make it work.

> > I do expect to be able to purchase a CD, read all of the available
> > documentation, and then be able to install without using the Internet.
> > That was not possible. In future it should at least be possible.
>
> Sure, you have the option of returning the CD-ROM for a full refund.

No way, the CD is worth more than the refund. I just wanted my login.conf.
Luckily there was one being passed around Sydney on a floppy.

> Sometimes things get screwed up.  We're all only human.

:-) Now you tell me! I thought you were... aah, forget it.

> > Also, I don't recall any other file warning that it was important to
> > read errata.txt (sorry, can't access my CD now). Scattered reminders
> > could help.
>
> Maybe.  What would the difference be if you ended up with a file
> /usr/src/README?

I don't understand what you mean.

Let me try it this way.
I get the CD. It has a booklet which I read that tells me how to install. I
study it for a week, look on the CD and find much the same stuff, read it to
make sure it's the same. Make notes on paper. Then I follow all instructions
to the letter, to the best of my ability. Where have I gone wrong? What
should I have done different, and where am I told about that? I know I'm not
a good person but wish somebody would help me to see how to become good
before I sin, not afterwards.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-