Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:09:15 -0700
From:      "Eric Ogren" <eogren@stanford.edu>
To:        "Chern Lee" <chern@meow.osd.bsdi.com>, <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Style/Grammar/Writing Guidelines

 Speaking as someone who's contributed a decent amount of stuff to the
Handbook (in fact, I'm pretty sure that the passage you quoted was revised
by me about a year ago), I don't particularly see a problem with the tone.
Admittedly, I'm biased, but I don't really think of the Handbook as a
technical, formal document -- I think of it as more of a "Here's how you use
FreeBSD." The majority of the chapters are targeted towards more
non-technical users, and as such, I think the fact that a lot of the
handbook has an informal tone is actually a good thing. I find "You may need
to prepare some floppy disks" just a lot nicer to read than "The first step
to installing FreeBSD is to create the kern and mfsroot floppy disks."
 Again, I'm biased, since I much prefer to write informally, but that's my 2
cents.

 Eric