Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 22:52:31 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   adding 25GB as single partition ok ?

I have just inherited a 25GB 3-disk RAID for a
FreeBSD mailserver which already has 4GB configured
as follows :
[current config]
/                100 MB
/usr            3600 MB
/var -> /usr/var
/swap            500 MB

since the additional 25GB will be used for users'
mail, is there any recommended way to split it or
should I just make it one big  /data partition
symlink /var to it as follows :
[proposed config]
ie.
/                100 MB
/usr            3600 MB
/var -> /data/var
/swap            500 MB
/data          25000 MB

Just like the school of thought that places /var on
/usr/var since disk usage is unpredictable, I figured
that it's less troublesome and more efficient (in terms
of usage) to put everyone and everything on one big
25GB slice. Does this sound reasonable ? Any caveats
to beware of ?

thank you in advance,

chas