Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 09:32:18 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burn-in floppy for system builders?

Richard E. Hawkins wrote:
> We're in the middle of a *wretched* experience having a system built by
> a local company.  In short, after their unapproved substitutions and
> unbelievably bad job of internal arrangement, the system can't run more
> than a few minutes with the case on, or a couple of hours with it off.
> Fortunately, the purchase order was pulled before they got paid, and
> now we have to deal with the aftermath.
>
> Anyway, the system was sold without an operating system, which would
> have prevented a burnin of the system.  I'm wondering if anyone has
> gotten around to making a simple disk with an SMP kernel for this
> purpose.

I've created a CD that does this, but it's not SMP.

> As I see it, the kernel would boot and run a single program (or short
> sequence) which would:

whoa ...

> 1) detect memory and the number of processors.

Nope, mine doesn't do that.

> 2) try to detect hard drives

Yes, thanks to the Brazil user's group's LiveCD scripts.

> 3) let user insure all drives ID'd and add/subtract if necessary, and
>    determine how long to run.

Err ... well, you can check this manually.

> 4) warn if any existing partitions exist on any disks, and allow
>    avoiding these

Again, manually.

> 5) partition the disks to use all space

Again ... manually.

> 6) dispatch test programs:
>    a) memory tests
>    b) CPU-sucking processes drawing from random memory locations
>    c) simultaneous disk tests on all drives, of both random locations
>       and near-far seeks.
>    d) keep load on each processor above 4 at all times

The CD has memtest, bonnie, and cpuburn installed.  These do a nice job
of testing memory, HDD and the CPU.  But it doesn't do any sort of
automatic anything really (except as noted above)  It's been a while
since I've worked on this "diagnostic CD" project, but if you're interested
I could dig up what I had finished and make an .iso image available for
d/l.

> Output could either be to a disk not to be tested or to a simple line
> printer on the parallell port.

Output was to console, redirect as you like.

> This would create a standard disk that could simply be handed to, or
> downloaded by, any old shop building a system, whether they understand
> *nix or not.

I just don't think you could get all that on a floppy.  It fit nicely on
a CD, however, and most newer systems will boot from CD.

> It doesn't sound to hard to write (though low level scripting is harly
> my area! :)

If you want a hand at it, grab the LiveCD scripts (search the archive
for LiveCD to find the URL).  Actually, I have a version I've sort of
translated to English (with the help of babelfish) that I could post
on the company web site if there's interest, and with the permission
of the users group who wrote them.

> Would it be practical to modify root.flp to do this as a single disk?
> Or can any of the small-system versions (picobsd?) run an SMP kernel
> off floppy?

Don't know about that.  I'm especially unsure about the SMP part ...
what happens if you try to boot an SMP kernel on a SP machine?  I also
wonder if you could fit everything you're asking for on a floppy.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology