Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 1996 16:42:31 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Erik Manders <erik@il.ft.HSE.NL>
To:        Jos.Vissers@telebyte.NL (Jos Vissers)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User name length limit increase

After long consideration, Jos Vissers uttered the following:
> Hello,
>
> Can somebody please explain how to increase the user login name length
> limit. I would expect this to be some systemwide setting or at
> worst a definition in a header file.
> But I can't find anything except UT_NAMESIZE (8) in utmp.h.
> Increasing that and recompiling libc doesn't help a lot.

 Almost there, but not quite. You grab the sources (ALL of them), edit
UT_NAMESIZE in .../include/utmp.h and rebuild everything. After the
installation you might want to remove /var/run/utmp (i think) and
reboot. Remember that xterm probably will also need recompiling! So will
anything else that even looks at the utmp! That's because changing UT_*
changes sizeof(struct utmp) and sizeof(struct lastlog) which is kinda
important.

> Is it possible at all to increase this beyond 8 and if so, how?

Sure! I've changed UT_HOSTSIZE to 48 for instance. See above!

  Erik Manders                                        erik@il.ft.hse.nl
--
:evil and rude: adj.  both {evil} and {rude}, but with the additional
   connotation that the rudeness was due to malice rather than incompetence.