Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:56:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: strange host name in apache logs

Thanks for all responses.
Let me respond to them at once, and expand on the questions.

> From: "Don Sausa" <don@cyberspace2000.com>
>
> Looks like a cache server within your network.
>

> From: Pete Fritchman <petef@netreach.net>
>
> Do you have a cisco router with web-caching enabled or some cisco product
> with that?
>
> It looks obvious that you do.

============

We have a cisco router from our ISP, but even if it had a web-caching
enabled,
a) it should not in the game (Nothing should be querying it)

b) if there were some type of firewall built in which whould force
all the requests going to the port 80 to go through the cache,
there would be more than just two notes in the logs.
(we have very busy web-servers)

c) In any case, the cisco router has it's own ip number, which does not
have this name in the DNS.

> From: Greg <gmo@sirius.com>
>
> Disable name lookups, find the ip, and see what it resolves to. I had this
> same problem, it seems some isp's and other providers have their DNS
> servers setup incorrectly. I noticed the same problem with apache on my
> box...

d) Shouldn't apache do direct/reverse nslookup and than compare the responses?

There are some reasons why I need the host names rather than ip numbers
in the web-log. So, unless this is really critical, security related
problem, I'd rather not disable name lookups.

Igor