Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2008 15:11:16 -0500
From:      "The-IRC Hosting Administration Team" <Ryan@The-IRC.Org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Upgrading from 6.2 to 7.0

There is nothing wrong with obtaining the source code of 7.X and doing a
full recompile to upgrade your version sanely.

Just use a cvsup file like this and run it with cvsup -g -L 2 cvs-supfile
*default host=cvsup4.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7
*default delete
*default compress
*default use-rel-suffix
src-all

After you've obtained the new sourcecode do the following.

`cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
`make buildworld'
`make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
`make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
`reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
`mergemaster -p'
`make installworld'
`mergemaster'
`reboot'