Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:07:34 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        viren@rstcorp.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 for NFS server

#define quoting(Viren R. Shah)
// We just got a server in that will be acting as our main NFS server. We
// intend to run 2.2.x on it. Couple of questions:
//
// 1. Is 2.2.6 close enough that we should put off installing 2.2-STABLE
//    for a few days? Or in other terms, are there enough stability
//    improvements in 2.2.6 that we should definitely wait for it.

Install it, and do a cvsup/make world after.  :)

// 2. I've seen a few mentions of NFS problems on 2.2.5. Are there any
//    big gotchas wrt using a 2.2.x box as an NFS server?

I have some problems with NFS that I could not yet track down the source.
If I try to use NFS in a full 100Mbps network, some time the client locks
up completely, and I have to reboot.  The problem seens to have diminished
a lot when I upgraded the server's CPU from P90 to P200, so I think it's
some kind of performance feature.  Somebody said the problem is my network
card, 3c905, that is a bad performing one, but this is not an excuse for
a locking up NFS client.

A big problem you'll find with FreeBSD as a NFS server is that its
rpc.lockd is a fake.  It'll always answer "Ok" to requesting clients,
but it'll never make a real file lock.  This is specially bad if you
plan to mount your mail directory over NFS.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br