Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:56:39 -0800
From:      Dean <dean@thegrid.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw and DNS

Hello all,
    I am setting up my first packet filtering gateway to protect a small
lan from the Internet and I'd like to block everything that isn't
necessary.  I am interested in hearing other people's input on how they
get around the problem of getting DNS queries from the inside to the
outside.  I'd rather not accept any old udp packet with a source port of
53.  I have read Cheswick & Bellovin's Firewalls book and they offer a
solution, but I am interested in hearing other solutions.
    I am not subscribed to this mailing list (though I should be), so
please include me in your replies.
Thanks for your help,
Dean