Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:19:57 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Dave Woods" <kudos@telusplanet.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: msn gamezone stuff thru a gateway

> As far as UDP packets go I can run Unreal Tournament behind a BSD firewall
> and the UDP packets get routed fine. I have not tested anything on MSN
> though so it might be specific to them. The only thing I can suggest is to
> either check your firewall rules to see if they are blocking UDP or else
use
> another external IP while gamming (not the best answers but that is the
best
> I can think of right now)

The Firewall isn't blocking the UDP packets...the problem is that NAT
doesn't know what to do with them, it can't route them properly.  Using an
external (ie static IP) would work just fine for him, but if he could do
that, he wouldn't be running NAT in the first place.  I have been down this
road, and the olny workaround that I found was to dismantle the LAN and give
the gaming machine the sole connection to the net so that it could have it's
own IP address. (not a good solution at all, really.)

Josh