Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:37:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        FreeBDS-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is mergemaster necessary?

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 06:31:07PM -0500, C J Michaels wrote:
> > >
> > made any head way figguring this one out.  Do other accounts show 'hints'
> > also, or just yours?
>
> As a test, I created a new user, this line appears at the bottom of
> .profile.
>
> [ -x /usr/games/fortune ] && /usr/games/fortune freebsd-tips
>
> I am running 4.5-STABLE as of 24 hours ago.

When you run adduser, you are asked if you want to install "dot"
files from /usr/share/skel (or elsewhere, if you choose to tell it
to use some other source of "dot" files).  They are installed in
the user's home dir as .profile, .cshrc, etc.

You can of course look at them; you could change them, but
they will be changed to the latest version whenever you cvsup.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC