Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:22:42 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <john@baldwin.cx>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        rwatson@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: per-device sysctls

On Thursday 26 February 2004 03:02 pm, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <xzphdxdk690.fsf@dwp.des.no>
>
>             des@des.no (Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav) writes:
> : Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org> writes:
> : > Having a unified and managed namespace for device sysctls sounds like=
> : > generally good idea to me, as more and more devices require some of
> : > another tweaking.  Have you had any thoughts on how to name sysctls a=
nd
> : > kernel environment variables on a per-driver basis, rather than a
> : > per-device basis?  I.e., fxp and some other device drivers have
> : > configuration settings that affect all instances of devices, rather
> : > than specific instances.
> :
> : It should be easy to add a per-devclass_t or per-driver_t sysctl
> : context and tree.  These things are disgustingly easy to create; the
> : only hard part is figuring out when and where to create them.
>
> You'd need to have devclass as well as dev trees, but that's easy to
> do.  We have hw.tsc.<driver>.<stat> sysctls for all the drivers at
> work, and it would be nice to have a more general framework to put
> stuff like that into.
>
> It would be nice if there was some kind of tie-in to tunables as well,
> since many drivers have tunables that are global, but might want to be
> less global.

Maybe 'dev.foo0.bar0' for devices, and 'driver.foo' are things specific to =
the=20
foo driver, though really that would have to be devclass.foo.  Drivers can=
=20
have the same names, so that gets harder.  E.g., we have multiple pci(4)=20
drivers and multiple pcib(4) drivers.  So you couldn't just have a=20
'driver.pci'.  You could have a 'devclass.acpi/pci' and a 'devclass.pci/pci=
'=20
though for class-wide things perhaps.  Drivers are a much harder nut to cra=
ck=20
given that they don't really have a sensible uniquifier.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <john@baldwin.cx>  <><  http://www.baldwin.cx/~john/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =3D  http://www.FreeBSD.org