Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:30:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jerry Murdock <jerry_murdock@yahoo.com>
To:        daverk@epix.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interscan query

--- "Dave Kaufman" <daverk@epix.net> wrote:
> i work for a small college and we need to get some protection for incoming
> and outgoing email. my boss has settled on Interscan and got a compag
> proliant dl360 rack mount unit to run it on. we tried installing
> Mandrake-Linux 7.2 but it didn't like the dual integral nics at all. so
> just for the halibut i talked him into letting me try my freebsd 4.4 Release.
> came up beautifully.
>
> now i need to get the Interscan running. according to the documentation it's
> been tested with Red Hat 6.0. i installed linux compatibility. can i just
> follow the directions for installing it? apparently it runs its own
> installation program. i don't know enough about this to know if that's
> likely to work.
>
> i apologize for asking this before i've had a problem but the list-serve
> won't accept emails from my mail server at work so i have to ask from home
> and i need to get this thing running today.
>
> if anybody has had experience with Interscan on freebsd i'd appreciate
> hearing about it.

I run the FTP and HTTP scanners under FBSD without problems, but not the SMTP
scanner.  It will probably work as well(I've never tried it - mail scanning is
done elsewhere), but expect to do some tweaking.

First:

Tell Trend you need a FreeBSD version. It may not do any good, but can't hurt.

Then, quick notes for installing:

Create a linux-like /etc/rc.d/init.d directory structure.  This should be OK
under either /etc or /compat/linux/etc, but it needs to be there for the
install to run.

The install will want a copy of zcat in /bin, just create a link to
/user/bin/zcat.

** Use the linux (/compat/linux/bin/sh) sh to run the install script. **  This
is to make the script think we are installing under linux.

After install there will need to be some script cleanups, mainly related to ps
command arguments, specifically in isfunctions and daemonhup.sh.

Also it requires a copy of mail or mailx(can't remember which) in /bin.  I just
created a symlink to /usr/bin/mail.

You need to understand how linux compatibility works, specifically wrt
/compat/linux directory mapping.  The install may put parts under / and
/compat/linux.  You may want to clean up the install by keeping all the parts
under the same tree, it's just a matter of a few mv's.

Jerry