Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 11:28:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        kaleb@x.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape puzzle

> > >From work, if I rsh to my box and run netscape 2.0b1 with the display set
> > to a machine here at work, I get an "unable to open display" error. With
> > netscape 1.1 it runs for several seconds and then takes the PPP connection
> > down. This has occured each and every time I've tried it.
>
> Why it's taking your connection out, I don't know but I've found that
> the Netscape versions >= 1.1 I've run on both SunOS and FreeBSD require
> me using the IP address instead of the hostname if I want to use remote
> hosts.  The Slowlaris versions doesn't for some reason, but I found it
> interesting none the less.

Another potential datapoint:

We are all aware of the bind/sendmail static data initialization shared
library changes, right?

The ones that Matt Day reported and provided patches for in both Linux
and BSD and to the package authors?

Perhaps this is the same bug, where the resolver is incorrectly initialized.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.