Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 17:57:27 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some serious gripes about `fdisk' and also `booteasy'.

This had bitten me twice now.

Will whoever is supporting/maintaining the `fdisk' program *PLEASE* fix it
so that it displays some sort of a warning when the user is just about to
partition a SCSI drive for which the on/off status of BIOS address trans-
lation (for disks larger than 1GB) _cannot_ be automatically and properly
determined by fdisk itself?

You have no idea how annoying and aggravating it is to spend half a day
installing a whole new fresh FreeBSD only to find out (after you are
all done) that the damn thing won't even boot because fdisk defaulted to
assuming a disk geometry that is just plain wrong/dysfunctional.

And of course, to add insult to injury, it ain't even all that obvious
what the hell is actually wrong when this sort of mistake gets made.  The
`booteasy' boot manager just sits there, stupidly, prompting you to hit
`F1' while it endlessly just beeps at you.  That's it.  Just endless
beeping.  No error message, no nuttin'.  At first, I thought that I had
a bad keyboard or something, and thus, I tried swapping it for another
one!  (But of course, that made no difference.)  This is not my idea of
``user friendly''.

If `booteasy' is unable to boot from a given drive or from a given partition,
couldn't it at least say something like `Error 473 - Return to continue'?
I mean I _do_ understand that memory space in the boot routine is very
minimal, but at least there should be room for something small like that!
Then, in addition, _someplace_ (e.g. in man pages and/or on the FreeBSD.Org
website) there could be a description of `Error 473' that says something
like ``This error (473) means that you probably bozoed the geometry on your
SCSI drive when you partitioned it.  Back up and try again.'' That would
be at least a little bit more friendly that the current behavior (of booteasy)
which is just to sit there and beep at you as if you've got a broken keyboard
or something.

Sorry if this letter sounds too negative.  I'm _am_ a big fan of the OS,
but as noted above, it is REALLY annoying to learn that you've wasted half
a day because of errors and warnings that you DIDN'T get.