Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:08:00 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        kip@lyris.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of mbuf clusters

> Here is where your philosophy diverges from many others -- I and I believe
> many others think that a server operating system should at least be robust
> out of the box. Neither Linux nor Solaris is vulnerable to running out of
> mbufs as a result of malicious code. I don't think FreeBSD should be
> either.

I have to agree here. I run a News server which used to have mysterious
crashes - until I raised NMBCLUSTERS to a sufficient value. Unfortunately,
the error message from sys/vm/vm_kern.c,

printf("Out of mbuf clusters - adjust NMBCLUSTERS or increase maxusers!\n");

doesn't always help. In my case, this message never made it into the logs.

> This is in no way a rant against FreeBSD, but rather a rant against the
> attitude that one needs to know about OS internals to run a lightweight
> server. If all of core insisted that Joe User had to know about internals
> to use FreeBSD as a server, FreeBSD would be little more than a hobbyist
> OS, rather than what it is -- the best OS currently available.

Agreed. FreeBSD is great! Let's make it even better!