Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:31:18 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-questions] shutdown group

As it was put forth by David Scheidt on Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:54:09PM -0500...
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, User & Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
>
> :
> :As it was put forth by David Scheidt on Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:13:47PM -0500...
> :>
> :> I can't come up with a single good reason why a non-root user should be
> :> allowed to use the halt(8) or reboot(8) commands.  I can't come up with many
> :> for root using them, either.
> :>
> :	I'm the only one who uses my workstation and I am trying to get into
> :the habit of logging into root as little as possible.  It is more convenient
> :and more secure to use sudo to shutdown, then to log in as root and do the
> :same thing, for me.:)
> :
> :Ian
>
> Please don't top post.
>
> There's no need to use sudo for this.  If you put the set of users who need
> to use the shutdown command into the operator group, they can use
> shutdown(8).  (There are some other priveledges gained from being in the
> operator group, such as being able to read to read raw disk devices, which
> is needed to run dump(8)).  I certainly understand why non-root users would
> want to run shutdown(8);  halt and reboot have options which can cause
> serious damage, so I don't see why a non-root user should be allowed to use
> them.
>
> --
> dscheidt@tumbolia.com
> Bipedalism is only a fad.

	Had no idea what top posting was, thanks for the heads up.  At any
rate,  does this sound like sound thinking as far as security goes

	1.  I cannot login to root remotely.  From what I've heard, this is a
good thing.

	2.  I can login as myself remotely using only openssh.  I am not in the
wheel group.

	Hypothetical situation:
Someone, somehow gets my password, and roots password, and logs in remotely
as me.  They can't su to root, and the only root commands they can execute
are the ones that I have set up through sudo, shutdown being one of them,
hanging up a root initiated ppp connection is the other.  This person would
not be able to trash the system, right?  I know this is a worst case
scenario and maybe I'm being paranoid, but I think that this setup works
quite well as a failsafe against a completely compromised system.  Am I
missing some other way that would be safer, better?  Maybe I should start a
new thread, this is veering away from the original topic.

Ian