Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:12:47 -0500
From:      David J Brooks <daeg@houston.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The fan is always on, even when the desktop is rather cool

On Saturday 16 September 2006 03:05, Wei Hu wrote:
> Thanks David, I checked this page. now if I do:
> $ sysctl hw.acpi
> hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
> hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
> hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
> hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
> hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
> hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
> hw.acpi.verbose: 0
> hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/0
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00%
>
> and if i do
> #sudo acpiconf -s 5 OR #sudo acpiconf -s 1
> nothing happens.
>
> Can I reinstall acpi, if yes, how can i do it? thanks.
>
> On 9/16/06, David J Brooks <daeg@houston.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 15 September 2006 18:10, Wei Hu wrote:
> > > I have 3 systems in my desktop:
> > > 1) When FreeBSD runs, my desktop fans are always running, and this
> > > make annoy noisy.
> > > 2) However when Debian runs, the fan eventually stops unless I am
> > > performing a load intensive task.
> > > 3) In Windows, the fan is almost always off.
> > > I tried to use acpi and apm, but they are for laptop.(?)
> > > In Freebsd, how can I control the cooling fans or how can the system
> > > turns the fans off when the load is not heavy.
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > It sounds like a broken ACPI code to me. Check the handbook chapter on
> > debugging ACPI:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html

Its been a while since I messed with it, and I finally got my fan problem
solved by replacing the computer with one that had a working ACPI bytecode.

What The problem is that the ACPI code for your machine was probably compiled
with the Microsoft compiler, which gives a clean compile on errors that would
be caught by the Intel compiler. You can dump this bytecode to source and try
to recompile it with the Intel compiler. That will likely show you what's
broken. If you're lucky you may be able to recode to fix the errors and then
load your new bytecode rather than the broken one that shipped with your
machine.

The best place to persue this question further is the freebsd-acpi mail-list.
If Nate Lawson can't help you out, you're probably stuck with a noisy
machine. At least you can be confident that it won't overheat. :)

David
--
Sure the Almighty created the world in only six days,
but He didn't have an established user-base.