Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 23:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Richard Chang <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br, ports@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lesstif (motif compatible) package.

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Richard Chang wrote:

> 	Speaking about motif, is there anyway to have the same X
> environment as in what is used on SUNOS 5.3 (Solaris) on SUN Sparc5's and
> what is used on HP Apollo Workstations with the same desktop under FreeBSD?
>
> Richard

Before Solaris 2.4, the Openwindows environment supplied with Solaris (and
SunOS) was completely OPEN LOOK oriented, with that widget set.
Personally, I find OPEN LOOK ugly and non-intuitive, but I like a few of
the OPEN LOOK "Deskset" tools, such as Perfmeter, and the public domain
program Workman.

Starting with Solaris 2.4, Sun included the Motif libraries and header
files, but it took until Solaris 2.5 to receive the Motif window
manager, some useful Motif tools, and the Motif man pages, as part of the
Common Desktop Environment (which is on a separate CD-ROM).  I believe HP
workstations use Motif (and have long before Sun adopted it), so I suspect
this is what you're referring to.

Under FreeBSD, you can get the OPEN LOOK Xview toolkit for free (it is in
the ports collection), and it comes with Clock, the Open look window
manager, command tool, and you can compile Workman (another port) with it.
You don't get any of the other Deskset tools you might be used to from
SunOS/Solaris however (mailtool, perfmeter, etc.).  You'll have to buy
Solaris/X86 if you want that.

As for Motif (which I think you were referring to), a binary
distribution costs about $150, and FreeBSD versions are available from
several sources, such as SWiM.  Sorry, I don't have any contact
information for them.. Anyway, it looks like Common Desktop Environment
(extended Motif 1.2 plus some goodies in a more integrated desktop
environment) will be available soon for FreeBSD too.

Oh, and don't forget, if you actually have a Sun or HP workstation
available, you can log in to it from your FreeBSD box, setenv DISPLAY
back to your computer, and run any program available for those
machines on your X server.  Have fun!

---Jake