Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:44:50 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Failure to boot after installing 4.2 on HP NetServer

* Nick Tonkin <publicn@rlnt.net> [20010125 00:30]: writing on the subject 'Failure to boot after installing 4.2 on HP NetServer'
Nick> Hello,
Nick> I just installed FreeBSD 4.2 on an HP NetServer E50 with no problems,
Nick> until rebooting. Even added somne packages, configures some daemons, etc.
Nick>
Nick> Now the box won't boot.
Nick>
Nick> Now, the box goes into its POST, going through Adaptec's SCSI-Select
Nick> Utility (v1.31s6) for the Adaptec 2940i and finding two HDDs on SCSI
Nick> IDs 0 and 1, and then through a second SCSI-Select utility (v1.32) for
Nick> the Adaptec 2940U/UW and finding the HP C1533A DAT tape drive
Nick> (supported by FreeBSD according to the docs) on ID 3, and then ...
Nick> nothing.
Nick>
Nick> Just a single-character flashing cursor.
Nick>
Nick> It _looks_ like it is not even getting to boot off the hard disk, so I
Nick> can't see how the new FreeBSD OS could directly be screwing it up, but
Nick> I don't know.
Nick>
Nick> I spent an hour with HP tech support and they verified (?) that the
Nick> SCSI devices are all okay (since they are recognized) but then could
Nick> not help since they only support SCO UNIX.
Nick>
Nick> Any clues, please?

Hi Nick,
This is a wild guess though....
If you try removing the second SCSI adapter (or is it onboard?) what happens?
I'm assuming that your root fs is on the first.
As wild as it is, I was running FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE on an HP Netserver E60 quite
comfortably until I decided to update to 4.2-STABLE and things got bad - I cannot access
my T20 tape anymore. I did seek help from this list and there are some very wonderful
people who tried to assist me but still it did not work. That is a tape i backed up with
2 days before updating to 4.2-STABLE!!! So I blame 4.2 and not the tape. I am now contending
with doing a backup on another E60 that is running 4.0-RELEASE which apparently is okay...
What were you running before 4.2??

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

At Group L, Stoffel oversees six first-rate programmers, a managerial
challenge roughly comparable to herding cats. -The Washington Post Magazine, 9
June, 1985