Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 2000 15:26:34 -0400
From:      John LoVerso <loverso@infolibria.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mktemp() patch

> | >which is not believed to cause any problems with shells. The PID is also
> | Some shells parse # as a deletion character if memory serves me right.
> Also ^ is used for substitutions in many shells (as in ^faulty^ok).

Why would you care if some shell used the a character in some special way?  In
general, you are not going to be typing the filename generated by mktemp() et
al.  And when you do, use the shell's strong quote (ala ') to escape such
characters.  (before someone mentions, almost none of these restrictions apply
to scripts)

> Symbols '=' and '+' are prohibited in some other filesystems.

Specific examples of filesystems supported by FreeBSD and likely used by
programs invoking mktemp(), please!  (I'm not sure that the NetWare filesystem
counts!)

John