Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:30:23 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Aaron Hill" <fbsdlist@futureuse.net>
To:        <listS+freebsd-questions@niss.com>
Cc:        <justin@shiningsilence.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FBSD 4.3 and XFree86 4.1, matrox g400

> 	Thanks for the configuration Justin. I just got done trying
> 	it and still no joy. My current suspicion is that there is
> 	an interaction with the G400 and the ASUS bios but I'm
> 	still looking for more data points or suggestions.
>
> 		Scott

Scott,

You are probably correct with the BIOS idea. I own a G400 MAX (on a Epox
7kxa mobo) and have had some problems (in Win2k) lately so I've been
spending quality time searching the Matrox forums. I can confirm the G400
MAX works fine in FreeBSD, I'll send you my configs if you want but I think
the configs previously sent will do the trick.

I've got a few points for everyone with a G400 based video card...

- The cards have known problems with some motherboards. If you are having
problems you should upgrade the BIOS on the video card and motherboard. The
latest BIOS for the G400 came out on the 11th June.

- Get your updated G400 BIOS from here ...
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/bios/home.cfm

- AGP 4x support in the G400 family is not perfect - apparently the G400
chipset was designed and released before the AGP 4x spec was released. I've
seen it said that any G400 with a "4A" in the product code will support the
AGP 4x port itself but may have troubles with the maximum memory bandwith.

- For confirmation you can search the Matrox forums ...

http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/forum/agree.cfm

... for the obvious words and look for posts from a Matrox employee named
Louie. Here's one thread in particular ...

http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum1/HTML/005070.html

... where the sad tale is told.

- So you should check out your video card's product code to see where you
stand with AGP 4x. Even if your card can support it you should go into the
motherboard BIOS settings and (if you can) turn off AGP 4x so only 1x or 2x
is used. There's no question that the cards work flawlessly at this speed.

If you can't do it at the mobo level there is a Matrox utility (on their
WWW) called a "Tweak Utility" where you can knock down the speed at the
card. Of course it's Windows based, just like the BIOS updates, but we all
know this happens. Once you change the AGP setting from Windows the cards
BIOS keeps the setting so it should remain in FreeBSD.

I hope something in all of this helps you out. Sorry if you don't like the
AGP 4x story but I'm just the messenger, I didn't decide to market the
boards as 4x compatible.

Good luck
Aaron