Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:58:02 +0100
From:      Yann Golanski <yann@kierun.org>
To:        Andre Hall <ahall@pcgameauthority.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exim as an alternative MTA in FreeBSD.

Quoth Andre Hall on Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 06:47:28 -0700
> OK,  I'm just curious. I've heard many reasons for replacing Sendmail
> but have never heard a valid reason for someone replacing Postfix with
> yet another MTA. I'm patial to the ease of use and security of Postfix
> but Exim over Postfix? What does it do that Postfix can't? According
> to a technical book about Postfix I've purchased and the slew of
> support sites I've visited Postfix is a worthy alternative.

While I am not an expert in either Sendmail or Postfix, I have done
quiet a lot of work with Exim including working on the largest mail
system in Europe which oddly enough runs Exim.

The main reasons that I would recomand Exim are that the configuration
file is easy to read and understand. It has a very detailed and clear
documentation. It is highly configurable with inclusion of filter files,
external programes (spamassassin and exiscan for example), databases,
SSL, and the usual MTA jobs such as virtual domains and the like. It is
extermly secure and well designed.

I would certainly recomand it over Sendmail which is confusing,
unsecrure and very unfelxible. I would as well recomand it over Qmail
which is cryptic at best and does not scale as well. As for Postfix, i
have never ran a system with it but have investigated it as a
replacement for Exim on the system I was running and decided against it
as it was not suited to what I was doing. However, I found it a decent
MTA.

To learn more, there is the Exim site: www.exim.org which has a short
introduction to it. Well worth the ten minutes it will take you to read
it if you are intrested in mail administration.

--
yann@kierun.org                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   www.kierun.org/pgp/key-kierun