Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:38:31 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        Bob Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting sio2 to work

Bob Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've got a Gateway Pentium II with a Promise Ultra100 controller.=20
>When I installed the modem, under Win95, it got installed on COM3.=20
>I've recently installed FreeBSD 4.3 on another partition. I've been=20
>trying to set up PPP so that I can connect to my ISP. Since sio2=3DCOM3=20
>is disabled under the GENERIC kernel, this doesn't work. I compiled a=20
>new kernal in which I made only the following changes.
>1) eliminated all cpus except I686_CPU
>2) changed ident from GENERIC to STAUNTON
>3) enabled sio2 with the line
>       device   sio2 at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 5
>    In other words, I removed the word 'disable' from the above line.

and removed the # at the start of the line, I trust.
(nah; couldn't be that easy :)

>The resulting kernel runs fine, but I still can't use the modem. =
Entering
>'dmesg | grep sio2' returns
>    sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>Entering 'stty -f /dev/cuaa2 -a' returns
>    stty: /dev/cuaa2: Device not configured

Proves the existence of /dev/cuaa2 though.

>I've read everything I can find on modems in 'The Complete FreeBSD'=20
>by Greg Lehey 3rd edition, and all the FAQs, tutorial, and handbook=20
>articles that I can find on the FreeBSD web site. Any help you can=20
>give me will be appreciated.

Sure it's not a winmodem?
http://www.grapevine.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Did Win95 show it as using irq5?

Is there a sound card involved (they often use irq5)?

man ppp is a great help, when you get to that stage.

John.