Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:28:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Russell Ingram <rfi@ws098.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automounter for FreeBSD & DNS question

Thanks to all those who replied. I appreciate the helping had.

I guess I didn't phrase the second question that well. What my problem is
it appears that the DNS server in my environment appends the domain to
the end of the machine name in the response to the request for the IP
Address. The FreeBSD machine thinks that this is not a match and gives an
error and won't use the returned information. This means that I ether
have to call a machine by it's machinename.domainname or maintain it in
my local host file. Since there is a large number of machines and some of
them change often I wouldn't want to maintain the hosts file. And
I would prefer to not be required to type in the domainname, it's kind of
long. And, none of the other UNIX machines in my environment exhibit this
behavior. They just accept the response and use it. No warnings or errors
anywhere. I thought there might be something wrong in my setup. If anyone
knows what settings might be wrong or where I should put a list of
friendly domains I'ld appreciate it.

					Thanks,
					Russ