Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:19:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   Re: JDK install: Unpack source ?

> > Why do you need to run javadoc?  The documentation is provided complete
> > in another port, so you should never need to run javadoc on the base
> > stuff, AFAIK.
>
> We have a miscommunication. I am a Java software developer, I create Javadoc
> API documentation myself.

So far so good.  (BTW, I'm also a Java software developer, and also
create Javadoc API docs as well.)

> This is what I run javadoc for.

What better tool is there for creating java documentation? :)

> Seems I don't include the JDK source code at the moment. But I do recall that
> I wanted to include it. Notice that I do include the source code for some
> other libraries.

Why are you including documentation for the JDK bits in your
documentation?  Why not just point the user at the JDK documentation?

It seems redundant to include two copies of the JDK docs for a developer
that needs to use your libraries.

(I'm assuming that the docs are for developers, correct?)

> > Having done that for JDK1.0 and JDK1.1, I recommend you avoiding the
> > sources if at all possible.  Sun *radically* changed the internals class
> > implementations from 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.3.  By looking at the
> > internals, you are more likely to depend on 'internal' behavior that
> > will no longer be relevant in subsuquent releases.
>
> Okay, I agree, but (a) for some AWT or Swing stuff there's hardly any choice
> but to check the source code if you want to get certain things done

If you're looking at AWT and Swing, then you *will* be bitten.  There is
*no* need to look at the source code to get certain things done.

In particular, both the AWT and Swing toolkits have been completely
re-written in each major JDK1.X release, such that *IF* you looked at
the internals, it wouldn't have worked in subsequent releases.

My last big 'GUI' project was 200K lines of code, including about 150K
of them dealing with Swing/AWT.  At no point did a developer require
looking at the Swing/AWT source code to do their job, although I peeked
a couple of times to help out another developer to make sure they
weren't doing something wrong (ie; the documentation was incorrect).

In any case, this discussion isn't appropriate for the java mailing
list, so if you would like to continue it, we can take it offline.

Nate