Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:51:29 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rand(3) (was Re: cvs commit: ports/astro/xglobe/files  patch-random)

In message <p05010404b6c19bb3a3c1@[128.113.24.47]>, Garance A Drosihn
writes:
> At 11:15 PM -0800 2/26/01, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >There goes your "pseudo-standardization" argument out the window,
> >which means you obviously hadn't checked your facts and were just
> >describing the state of your internal fantasy universe.  Thanks
> >for wasting everyone's time with this silly thread.
>
> I am aware of other people who live in the same fantasy universe,
> so I think this thread is spiraling downwards.  A few of those
> people even ran tests to see if rand() produced the same results
> across the platforms they cared about, and once that was proven,
> they just assumed that would remain true (most of them are doing
> comparisons across time, though, not across platforms.  Still,
> "across time" tends to become "across platforms", as hardware
> changes around here).  It *is* interesting to find out that glibc
> does use the same algorithm as random().  Glibc hasn't been
> used much among the people I'm thinking of, but it's certainly
> getting used more as linux makes inroads on campus.  Now I am
> also wondering if rand() still produces similar results across
> the other unix platforms we have on campus.

<taking my security administrator's hat off and putting my manager's
hat on>
Just as with virtually everything else in this industry we have
multiple standards (don't even get me started with the
telecommunications and building industries).  Some shops or developers
may wish to integrate across platforms while others focus on
FreeBSD/Linux.  Could we not implement a solution similar to malloc()'s
/etc/malloc.conf and MALLOC_OPTIONS?  The default could be set to
rand() calling random(), while setting the appropriate option would
revert to the "old" behaviour.  Or, #ifdef.  Either way we satisfy both
camps.

<putting my security administrator's hat back on>
Ideally, rand() is insecure and should be removed or should call
random(), protecting clueless developers from themselves and more
importantly protecting clueless end users from clueless developers.

We three choices:

1.  Status quo.

2.  A more secure rand().

3.  A hybrid.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC