Date:      Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:16:53 +1000
From:      R Skinner <rocky@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        Jeffry Killen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation difficulties

On 12/11/11 16:01, Jeffry Killen wrote:
> Hello;
> I am not new to FreeBSD, but it has been a while since I worked with it.
> The last version I obtained from FreeBSD Mall is 7.2. The jewel case
> is marked with a date of May 2009, so it is a little behind. But I
> expected it
> to boot the i386 version installer, which it did on an Intel 64 bit
> processor.
> The 64 bit version is marked 'AMD64'.  I would have gotten a laptop
> with AMD
> but this particular seller (Linux Certified) did not have one
> available when
> I was ready to buy.  So now I am at it because the warrantee on the
> laptop
> has expired.
>
> So, I installed x-developer and attempted to install Apache from the
> included
> ports. None of the listed version would install:  error code -1.
>
> I also tried MySQL. The first time it also failed to install. But did
> sysinstall and tried
> a different version than originally selected, and it did install.
>
> Since I wanted the GUI, I ran xinit when I got a shell prompt and
> xwindows
> failed to load and run, the error is "failed to load module fbdev
> (module does
> not exist).
>
> Perhaps this is not an issue that can be addressed practically, here,
> which is
> alright with me. But short of getting another DVD and trying to
> install from that
> is there a way to deal, at least with the fbdev complaint?
>
> My experience with FreeBSD goes back to 6.0, setting up and running
> servers,
> specifically web servers.  This is going to be a development server,
> as it had
> been when it had Ubuntu Linux.
>
> Thank you for time and attention;
> JK
I'd download at least 8.2 (amd64 if you like, but you can stick to
i386), and do a basic install (no ports or packages- yet). Once running
execute freebsd-update fetch install as root, then portsnap fetch
extract. With that done, then go into ports and install what you want
from there by entering the directory of the port you want to install
(say www/apache22) and running make install clean. You'll have options
to select and away you go.

If you can wait a few weeks (9.0-Release guys: back me up :) ), install
the disk you have there and install in the same way so you have
something to play around with and get your feet wet until 9. Or try
9.0-RC3, you can get release using freebsd-update.

And above all: to do that you are going to become very good friends with
the FreeBSD Handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

HTH