Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:04:08 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Bugs <freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/40488: CUPS now relies on a special version of Ghostscript for printing on non-PS printers

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 01:45:02PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:

>At 2002-07-12T18:35:31Z, Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net> writes:
>> Beware: this means the ghostscript-gnu will now depend on cups-base. I
>> don't like this, but it is an unfortunate consequence of the decisions
>> made by the cups author(s).
>
>I don't know enough about the programs involved to understand why moving
>pstoraster out of CUPS and into Ghostscript is a good thing.  I know you're
>busy, but do you have time to give an informed opinion?

Previously, cups actually installed a private version of ghostscript
with only one driver -- that's what pstoraster *was*.

Since some Linux distros (not the guy in the fedora) want cups as
standard, and only wanted one ghostscript, Mike Sweet (head dude and
hacker at ESP) decided to produce an ESP ghostscript, which is just GNU
gs with patches and an additional driver.

There are also instructions for patching the driver into the existing
ghostscript-gnu framework. All I have to do is figure out how that fits
in with the 69 other extra drivers we (optionally) install.

The cups-base port will only be used at build time, AFAIK. It should not
be required to be built and installed. Essentially, we're moving
pstoraster into ghostscript-gnu. Not because I want to, but because Mike
has given us no real alternative option other than freezing our version
of cups at 1.1.14, something that is not an option in my opinion.

Does that help clarify things, Kirk?

--
AlanE