Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:01:05 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        mingo lu <freebiebsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd 4.5 and bash for root shell

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 01:32:11PM -0700, mingo lu wrote:

> thanks. Well, the warnings aare gone, but the file
> "su.gmon" is still there, i deleted so amny times ...

Looks like your su executable has been compiled with profiling
support.  That's not a stunningly good idea for stuff in general use,
especially for a setuid executable like su(1).  I assume that you're
using su(1) to become root, which is why the .gmon file is always
reappearing.

See gprof(1) for details of profiling executables.

Is this the system su(1) or the su(1) that comes with GNU sh-utils? I
ask simply because I can't see how you could accidentally turn on
profiling for just su(1) in the main system without knowing about it.

	Cheers

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow